Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hello, can you hear me?

Good evening everyone,

Yesterday I had an appointment with Dr. Filatov at 11:15am in Prince George.  For some unknown reason he was unable to see me yesterday.  I will now see him March 4th here in Vanderhoof and then again April 15th in PG.

At 1:00pm I had an appointment to have my hearing tested at the Costco store in PG.  Patricia Murrow, Hearing Aid Manager, administered the test.  This is a very new Department at Costco in PG only having opened for business January 19th this year.  The test took about 40 to 45 minutes and the results were somewhat startling to me.  My hearing in both ears is severely impaired especially in the higher hertz ranges.  Simply said I need hearing aids in both ears.

I received a copy on the test and she sent one to Dr. Filatov.  Ms Monrow also gave me an estimate of the cost of hearing aids for both ears.  It is her opinion that some of the hearing loss may be as a result of the radiation but she cannot say for sure.  Dr. Filatov will have to be the judge of that.  For most of you who know me my hearing has been on the slide for a number of years.  It's the severe loss that I am now experiencing which surprises me the most.

Today I called ManuLife, my supplemental health care provider, to find out what I should do now.  Since the cost of the 2 hearing aids is less than $3,000, I simply order the devices, pay for them and then submit a claim for 90% reimbursement.  My coverage allows for replacement hearing aids every three years.  Once the cost exceeds $3,000 total, I must have prescription from Dr. Filatov before I can claim reimbursement.  A pretty simple plan for sure.  There you have it.  It will take about 2 to 3 weeks to order the hearing aids and have the ear pieces made.  I will have the over the ear style as the miniature hearing aids which fit inside the ear do not have the amplification that I need.  The hearing in my right ear is 85% at 110 decibels and in the left ear slightly better where I hear 60% at 80 decibels.  So you can see that I can hear but it must be loud!

That's it for tonight folks.  I'll bring you up to date as time goes on.  On Saturday, Valentines day, it will be exactly 1 year since I was diagnosed with the cancer.  It has been an up and down year for me and not one I would wish on anyone.  On the positive side Dolores and I have lots to be thankful for and that my recovery has been steady and ongoing.

Love to all,

Rick

No comments: