Good Afternoon Everyone,
Sorry to be so long in posting. All is well here in Vanderhoof. I'm
doing fine, gaining weight (174 lbs) and eating 3 meals a day. Some
of the vegetables I can eat with out putting them through the blender
but nearly all meat except for fish have to be ground up.
Over the past 3 weeks I've weened myself from the narcotic pain
killers and I have become more aware of my surroundings and stopped
sleeping 4 to 6 hours every day. I am now out walking three times
each day, up to 6 kms, and next week I'll start riding my bike. My
left shoulder is still sore and very weak and my upper left chest area
is numb and painful to touch.
The two 6 inch scars are nicely healed and cause no trouble and are pain free.
Biggest news is the trachea tube is coming out Aug. 3rd here in
Vanderhoof. I'll be admitted overnight for observation only. The
removal takes less than 30 seconds and 5 to 7 minutes to stitch the
hole in my neck. Since the operation in April, the cough has gone and
I have not thrown up at all. The operation appears to have been a
complete success. I saw Dr. Filatov five weeks ago and he thinks
my ability to swallow will improve once the trachea tube is removed.
As it is, I must thicken all liquids, water, milk and juices, so that
I can swallow them easily.
Dolores and I travelled to Kamloops (678 kms) June 21st and spent the
night at the Sleep Centre at Royal Inland Hospital to see if I still
suffer from Sleep Apnea. I wore a plug over my trachea tube and was
wired up 7 ways to Sunday. I tried to get a normal night's sleep but
the technician said I didn't achieve REM sleep all night. On Friday
this week I'm going to see Dr. Campbell here in town and she will give
me the results of the test.
As you can see, the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into
place. We may have to go to Vancouver in October to have my food tube
removed and while we are there I will have a Video Fluoroscopy,
swallowing assessment. That may not be necessary if I continue to
improve with what I can swallow particularly the fluids.
Dolores and the rest of the family are well and keep encouraging me to
be more active. It doesn't look like I'll ever be able to chop wood
again so we are going to buy an electric wood splitter and I will get
my exercise using it and stacking the wood in the wood sheds."
Last week (Friday, July 8), I had two cyst like lumps removed. One from the
left side of my forehead and the other from under my left eye. The
tissue samples were sent to the lab for analysis and the results from
the forehead lump came back positive. It was "Basel" cell cancer.
Luckily this type of cancer does not migrate, it always stays in the
same place and never "metastasizes". The tissue sent indicated that
all of the cancer cells were not removed and on July 25th I go back to
the hospital and they will open up the area around the first incision
and clean up that area and hopefully get what cancer cells are left
around it. The second lump was a benign cyst.
The results are back from the sleep lab. While not conclusive, the
Doctor at the sleep lab suspects that I have severe sleep apnea. Dr.
Filatov will have to decide if it is safe to remove the trachea tube
in light of this new information. He has said in the past that he
does not know weather I could tolerate a "C Pap" machine because of
the radiation damage and the lack of thin saliva glands. Once again
we will have to wait and see what transpires.
The weather here has been cold and wet, so wet that David has not
been able to get the hay off the fields. Environment Canada says that
this will change in the next week or so and it will be warm and sunny
until September. Everyone here hopes that that is true. Without hay
there will be now feed for the cattle during the winter. If that happens
the cows and calves will have to be sold at the fall auction. I will
keep you posted.
That's all for now.
Love and hugs,
Rick

No comments:
Post a Comment