Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pre-Surgical Visit

Good afternoon everyone,

Well, well, well, well.  I was up at the crack of dawn this morning and off to PGRH before 8:00 AM for an ECG.  What a great procedure the hospital puts you through.  Take a number at the Lab and wait only to find out that I have to go to Pre-Admissions first.  There goes 45 minutes. I then get a booking slip and go back to the Lab and the booking slip is processed pretty quickly and then its off and down the hall and around a corner to an unmarked waiting area.  

Nobody is around and I wait and wait for somebody, anybody to appear and tell me what to do. Finally this really pleasant Nurse shows up and says "what are you waiting for?"  I tell her and she says "be with you in a moment".  Yippee!!!! Headway at last.  After a short wait she calls me into an examination room and I have the ECG.  Oh but, that life could be as easy as an ECG.  10 minutes later I'm back to Pre-Booking with a copy of the ECG and I'm asked to wait, the anesthetist will be with me shortly.  Shortly turned out to be 90 minutes later.

The anesthetist was a very pleasant Doctor type and we went over what I can expect next Thursday when I have the Panendoscopy.  I can expect quite a bit of discomfort starting with the insertion of the Trachea tube.   In earlier surgeries I've had, the doctors and the anesthetists have found that it is very difficult to insert the trachea tube so it will be inserted before I am sedated and the Doctor said it will not be pleasant.  My throat will be frozen but I will still find it difficult and unpleasant.  YUKKKK!!!!  I'm going ask Dr. Filatov if I can have a shot of Morphine while I'm in pre-op to settle me down.  Once I am put to sleep, I will feel nothing until I wake up.  Dr. Filatov has told me that he will paint the areas from which he takes scrapings with Codeine and that will help to reduce the unpleasantness in my inner nose and throat areas after the surgical procedure.

Brad will have to stay with me for a full 24 hours as a precaution and by then I should be well enough to be wholly on my own.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I think we are near the end of the "staging" process.  Next step after this is the Cancer Clinic. All things being equal, I am in good spirits and learning how to cope better as each day comes and goes.  I am positive that I will conquer this cancer and return to my regular self.

Until later, so long everyone,

Rick, soon to be "Lumpfree", first cousin to "Humphrey" the camel.

 




1 comment:

msmeow said...

Oh Honeyman you truly amaze me. A positive mind and positive spirit are looking good on you obviously. I am quite inspired about your visit re Reiki and your chest pain disappearing. Gotta love that. Keep up the GREAT work and I will be thinkin of ya as I have been. TTFN Meow!