Monday, December 21, 2009

A very good Monday Afternoon to all

Yikee!!!!!!! I have had a little turn for the worse. I spent the morning at St John Hospital here in Vanderhoof receiving 2 litres of Saline solution and a packet of anti biotics intravenously. I've been having a great deal of difficulty swallowing fluids for the past 3 days. Yesterday I was able to drink only a couple of ounces of water all day and even then, I aspirated much of it and it came swooshing out of my trachea tube. I've also had some diarrhea as well and became dehydrated. Martha Brown and Dolores have had sore throats and coughs for the past week and I have had the same. I suspect that the really cold snap we had last week with -38/40C for 3 days also contributed to my troubles.

So, this morning I went to the hospital with Dolores when she went to work and checked into emergency. I received very good care and I am now feeling so much better. Dr. Campbell asked me to try not to drink any fluids except for "thickened" water and I will receive my fluids twice a day intravenously. That means back and forth to town morning and night. I'm also to take Apo Cefuroxime twice a day for 7 days to kill any bugs/viruses in my lungs. If my throat and Epiglottis do not respond in that time Dr. Campbell will have me see Dr. Filatov on an emergency basis. I hope that it does not come down to that.

So, having said that, We're having a real winter storm today. Snow, wind and -10C. Winter is actually quite nice when it is like this and you do not have to commute in cities like Vancouver and Toronto. The cows don't seem to mind the snow or the cold, good thing since we do not have enough barn space for the whole herd. They just wander about carrying a load of snow on their backs. Weird animals.

I will be a shut in for the next 7 days, except for my daily trips to the hospital, while I fight this bug and get well. Luckily I am all prepared for Christmas as I hope you all are. We will have a grand day with most of Martha's family here as well as some grand children and friends. I am looking forward to it. Dolores and I wish you all have a very Merry Christmas and to everyone grand Ho Ho Ho from the 250 exchange in Central B.C.

Bye for now and love and hugs to everyone.

Rick

1 comment:

eegyweegy said...

hey rick! mom sent me your well wishes a few days ago and i finally found your blog! i hope everything is alright with you. lots of love, kari-ann