Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yikes! No food or water!

Good evening everyone,

Today was a big day for Dolores and I and by 10:45 AM we were
were approaching Prince George and my 11:15 AM appointment at Prince
George Regional Hospital. As it happened the the biopsy procedure was delayed
until 12 noon and then Dr. Filatov, a charge nurse and Dolores went to
work on me. The actual surgical time was about 30 minutes and I felt
no pain either during or after the biopsy. Dr. Filatov was able to
move the procedure up from the 7th to today because of other surgical
cancellations. My good fortune. Of course this was all made necessary when
Dr. Filatov discovered that I have a perforation connecting the proximal the
trachea and the esophagus. Said another way I have a "Fistula" or a hole
between the Trachea and the esophagus. Youch, if that sounds bad you
should try sitting in my shoes these days.

We now wait 5 to 7 days for the analysis of the biopsy to be completed
and I hope you all have your collective fingers crossed. It has been a
very difficult few days for me. I know how much each of you enjoy
your food and drink. Well! Try going cold turkey and having absolutely
no food or drink orally. It is a shock to the system and it has been hard to
adjust to it. But, of course I have no choice it has to be done. Dr.
Filatov is actually quite surprised that I have not come down with
"aspiration" pneumonia. When I think back on all the difficulties I
have been having when eating and drinking during the past few
weeks/months, I wonder how I have managed to avoid it as well.

To help me live and to forgo all food and water taken orally, I had a
Gastric tube inserted through the stomach wall and a hole was punched
through my chest wall and WahLah! I now take all nourishment through the
G-Tube.

I am worn out completely tonight, dead dog tired. I slept very poorly
last night and tonight I will take 1/2 of one of Dolores' little "blue
sleepers". I was weighed this morning and came in at 163, a nice
little bit of recovery from the 160 lbs. of a couple of days ago. I'm
on my second and third cans of "tube feed" for today and likely will
only get 4 down before bed. I had to fast from midnight on this
morning and had my first tube at 12:30 this afternoon. Taking
nourishment like this is slow and tedious and really difficult at
times like this. If I run the drip to fast, I get an upset stomach
and "vomit" all the food back up and that is really a waste of time
and money.


My mind is slipping away as I type. I'll post this and if necessary I'll add to
it tomorrow. Good night all and Lots of love and hugs from the "holey" one.

Bye for now,

Rick


No comments: