Good afternoon all,
In my last post I forgot to mention a most important detail. On September 30th (Thursday) we shipped this year's calf crop to the Vanderhoof Public Auction. All of the calves were sold the next day, Friday Oct. 1. Our original intention was to sell them at this week's Friday auction but, the long range weather forecast was not good for today and tomorrow. Last week we had spectacular fall weather and it was easy for the cattle liner to get in to the sort yard and load the calves. If the weather was rainy and the sort yard became muddy, the liner would not be able to get in and out. Thus the decision to sell them a week early.
As it turned out we got really good prices for all of the calves, better than either of the past 2 years. Dolores, Milton and David were very pleased with the prices per pound for both heifer and bull calves. Let me tell you cattle ranching is no way to get rich quick. The cattle producers are at the bottom of the ladder and all of the costs trickle down to the producers. Oh well that is the nature of the cattle business and it's the business we are in.
Another good week for me. I have been feeling better for the most part. I seem to be overly tired today with a minor upset stomach. I did my morning chores and since then I've been stretched out on my easy boy. I haven't slept just relaxing.
That's it for this week. Talk to you soon and love and hugs to everyone.
Rick

No comments:
Post a Comment