Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting by with the Peg Tube

Good morning all,

It has been some tome since I updated the blog. I have been having a great deal of difficulty with the new gastric tube and a the nausea associated with it. Dr. Campbell had me on a protocol of 4 different drugs to fight the upset in my stomach. When Dolores and I read the book about each of the drugs, in most cases one or two of the side affects were "vomiting and nausea". The very things we were trying to get beyond. By a process of gradual elimination we are down to "Zofran" as the only vomiting and nausea drug I am currently taking. It has lots of side effects some more unpleasant than others but for the most part the nausea is being dealt with satisfactorily. I still have a vomiting problem and I want to tell you it has been a trying 7 weeks since the tube was inserted December 31, 2009.

Most days I must stay close to the house and I have little or no energy to do much of anything. My patience has been pushed to the limit and I really have to fight to stay positive when there seems to be so little to look forward to in the short term. Today I'm fighting with cramps as a new experience to the general malaise.

On a positive side, Dolores and I were married here at the farm on Friday evening Feb. 12th. It was a small gathering with Mother, Milton, Dolores and I. David and Michelle and her three children (7, 14 and 17) along with Louella and Wes Novack. (Louella is one of Dolores' closest friends). The marriage Commissioner had the the date right but had the day wrong. She thought the 12th was Saturday evening. I phoned her at 7:20 PM and asked her where she was? Good thing I did because that's when she told me she thought she was coming on Saturday night. She was here within 40 minutes so it was a manageable delay and we all were able to chuckle about it afterward.

The extra excitement of the day along with the ceremony took their toll on me and by 10:00 PM I was completely done in and had to call it a day. We have commenced looking into having Dolores become a beneficiary on my pension plan which will thereby enable her to join my extended health care plan. It is an expensive proposition in terms of the actuarial deduction that will be taken from my pension and it may not prove to be worth while but we must look into it. I will call my lawyer this week and get the process started to have a joint will made up. Dolores will also start looking into her retirement benefits once she gets within 9 months of her retirement date which is Aug. 9th, 2010.

In closing, Dolores has been off work since the last week in December due to a bad back. She has been seeing Dr. Tony Kim and acupuncturist and acupressure specialist and she sees him this afternoon for perhaps the last time and will start back to work on Wednesday. I hope she is able to manage it.

Sorry that my news has tended to be on the downside but, the Peg Tube has NOT been a fun experience. I see Dr. Campbell next Friday and I think she will try to get me in to see Dr. Palarme (the Doctor who inserted the tube) on an emergency basis. Perhaps there is a problem with its positioning of the tube in my stomach or some other minor little glitch which will fix me right up. Who knows.

I will try to post more often and try to keep you all up to date. Bye for now.

Love and hugs to everyone,

Rick

No comments: