Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fall is coming

Hello all,

Ho, hum, life goes on. It is starting to feel like fall. The days, when it is sunny are wonderful. The mornings are cool and we have had frost on a number of occasions already. It has also been unseasonably wet and Dolores is disappointed with the vegetable garden.

I'll be able to ride my bike today. The back roads are now dry enough for me to get out. My throat is starting to feel better. The fire like pain in my throat that shoots up into my left ear is finally starting to subside. Perhaps the hydromorph that I'm taking is helping. I am still plagued with the heavy,sticky, white saliva and mucus build up in my throat. This seems to cause me more pain than any thing else. I will persevere with the anti histamines and the Flonase which seem to help keep my sinuses clear.

I see Dr. Campbell this coming Wednesday. She was going to try and talk with Dr. Leong in Vancouver re: the sore throat and what type of long term pain management for the damaged nerve endings might be put in place. Anything will be helpful to me. I also see the Dietitian on Wednesday and she may have some suggestions which will help me gain weight or at least stop the slow and gradual losses I have been experiencing. Most days I ingest 4 cans of tube feed (255 mls each with 355 cals) and on a really good day about a 1,000 calories in real food. Swallowing is still my largest problem due to the dryness in my mouth (no thin saliva glands yet) and the aforementioned mucus etc. which is lodged in my throat.

I am starting to regain some of my strength although my stamina is still far short of where I would like it to be. This is an on going project which will likely take months. Yesterday Dolores and I were in Prince George running here and there. We stopped at Pilot Street to say hello to the neighbours, pick up the mail etc. and I happened to see my skis. Well, that caused my blood to rush and as I ran my fingers over them I promised myself that I will be up on the slopes this year for sure. What finer incentive to get back in shape is there than downhill "skiing".

That's it for this report. Talk to you soon.

Love to everyone.

Rick

No comments: