Monday, October 20, 2008

Ups and downs

Good evening everybody,

This has been a very poor week for the Honeyman. I was released from Prince George Regional Hospital Tuesday October 14th and here it is Late Monday evening Oct. 20, 2008. These past six days tell me that nothing about Trachea Tubes can be taken for granted.

Starting from the moment I was released I knew that I was in for some tough sledding. I have had continual problems breathing and have had many very scary moments when I was struggling for air. Everything came to a head early this mornign at about 2:00 AM when I started to encounter very serious problems breathing. The trachea tube was blocked and no amount of suction would clear it. I became more and more agitated and more and more friegtened with my inability to draw good air.

Dolores gave me a shot of Hydromorph to try and get my nervous system to relax somewhat and when that didn't work she stuffed 2 Ativan tabs under my tongue and phoned the hospital. At 3:00 AM we were dashing into Vanderhoof with me somewhat more at ease, thanks to the Ativan, but just a heart beat away from the unholy terror of not being able to get enough oxigen into my lungs. The hospital staff were awaiting our arrival and no effort was sparred to unplug the blockage in the Trachea Tube. Finally a Mucomyst nebulizer was fed directly into my Trachea Tube and bam, bam I started to cough and spit up mucus both liquid and dried.

The good news was the Nebulizer cracked open the blockages in my lungs and allowed me to cough it out of my lungs. By 9:00 this morning as I was having a Chest Exray and my breathing was back to normal. I am now on a whole new series of meds and medications to avoid a repitition. We'll have to see how successful they will be.

Enough for now, I'll post later in the week.

Love to everyone,

Rick

No comments: