Yoski everybody,
This morning I saw Dr. Pamela Gardner at the Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic's Dental Office. A full surround ex ray of my teeth was taken and she discussed it with me. She is recommending that the top two back teeth (one on each side) be extracted before the radiation therapy begins. Each of these two teeth sits above a space where my two bottom 12 year old molars used to be.
After radiation therapy, blood flow through the jaw bone and surrounding area is greatly reduced. If either of these teeth need to be extracted sometime in the future, the wound caused by the extraction would not heal because of the lack of blood in the area. These extractions are now a preventative measure and I have agreed.
Dr. Gardner also went over the short and long term side affects that I can expect as a result of the radiation such as loss of my saliva glands and loss of taste (not always permanent). It will also be very important that I take good care of my teeth after the radiation as my tooth enamel will be affected and I will be prone to more cavities. She wants me to call her after my appointment tomorrow with Dr. Anderson (the surgeon) and advise her if the lump will be removed before or after the radiation because if he operates now the extractions will happen 10 days after the surgery and if he waits until later, the teeth will come out next week.
The MRI of my neck and throat has been scheduled for Wed. April 23, 11:30 AM at the Surrey memorial Hospital. This is good news because that's less than 2 weeks from now. Also, the Family Counselling Service called and left a message for me today. I'll call them tomorrow and arrange to see a counsellor. Things are beginning to happen.
I'll let you know what happens with Dr. Anderson asap.
Bye for now,
Lumpy
P.S.: If you need to contact me these are the numbers:
c/o Linda Leighton at 604-582-7337
c/o Brock Honey at 778-995-6765
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment