Saturday, April 12, 2008

Some positive news

Good morning everyone,

After a somewhat frustrating week there is a positive note to post. I met with Dr. Don Anderson, surgeon, yesterday afternoon at 3:45. My long time friend Bob Pavich drove me to the appointment and sat in with me during the examination and the question and answer period that followed. Dr. Anderson was pleasant, skilled and informative. His patient manner was sincere and caring.

He wanted to inspect the tumor which is located at the base of my tongue and not under the tongue as I have previously said. He used a fine, hand held viewing scope which he inserted up through my left nostril. I was hesitant to let him do this but, he was firm and insistent while being gentle, sensitive and encouraging. The procedure took less than a minute and I felt none of the discomfort I experienced in Dr. Leong's office or in Dr. Filatov's office in Prince George.

Dr. Anderson will remove the tumor in my neck, which he said was now 5 cms, after the Radiation Therapy. I am to call him 4 to 6 weeks after it is over and he will examine me again or Dr. Filatov can do it. Dr. Anderson will then schedule the surgery. He said the reason for the delay is to allow the body to clear the dead cells from the tumor site. The tumor in my neck is made up of large number of affected Lymph nodes which are clustered around the carotid artery. The tumor will shrink considerably during the Radiation treatments and make its removal much easier and less risky. He will also remove all of the other lymph nodes from the left hand jaw area. I think he said there are about 150 lymph nodes on each side of the jaw. Both Bob and I were impressed with Dr. Anderson and I have complete faith in his ability.

Another good piece of news. I have an appointment with to see a councillor from the Family Counselling Centre which is attached to the Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic Tuesday morning next week. My emotions and temper have been scrapped raw and are lurking just under the surface and the Counselling will be of great help and comfort.

I am going to enjoy my weekend with Bob and his wife Lillian and return to Linda Leighton's for Sunday and Monday nights. I will be a Brock's house from Tuesday through Saturday morning next week.

So long for now,

Lumpy


No comments: