Good afternoon everyone,
Since the last time I posted early morning June 1st, the life and times of R. David have changed is some pretty dramatic ways. First, I am well and my pain is being managed in such a way that I am unaware of the nastiness inside my mouth for the most part. My new Fentanyl patch which releases 75 mcg of relief an hour and when coupled with the Hydromorphone, 2.5 mils per hour leaves me in a comfortable state most of the time. This level of narcotics is required to bring me to this state but, it also leaves me without much of a memory or the desire to kick up my heals, that is if I new where they were.
I have been on a whirlwind ride sine Sunday Jun 1 the date of my latest blog entry. Monday was a busy day at the hospital with the radiation treatment and the fitting of a new mask. Pain was a major factor on Monday but, Tuesday was the start of something new.
First thing Tuesday morning I had another fitting of the mask then I was off to the Lab for blood work and the G-Tube surgery took place at 9:30 AM. I was in recovery until 1:00 ish then there was the final fitting of the mask and a CT scan. Brock got me home at 3:00 and I passed out colder than a mackeral for most of the afternoon and evening.
Kathy Honey visited with us and stayed the night so Brock go play hockey. I woke up this morning sicker than a dog. I was unable to evacuate the build up of Saliva, nucus and Phlem. I got myself under control and at 9:12 I had my 18th Radiation treatment and now only 7 left to the finish.
We then we met with Chris LaFore one of the Nurses who taught us how to clean the area around the G-Tude and maintain of the wound and what dressings to use. then the Dietitian came in and showed us how to keep the G-Tube apparatus clean and then how to feed me. It was all way to much for me but, Brock worked with Dianne and together they are comfortable that Brock will be able to do a good job at feeding me and keeping the equipment clean an sanitary. Pheew!!
It was home about 2:30 and I went right to sleep. Brock got to use his new found skill when he prepared my dinner at 5:00ish. It is a different feeling to be feed with out any sensation of any sort. But in the two feedings today I got more nourishment than I've had in the past five days.
Tonight I will be in bed earlyas we have a9:12 AM Radiation treatment and then the Public Health Nurse will visit us between 1:00 and 3:00 tomorrow afternoon.
I can now see the end of this ordeal and tonight I think I have found the new strength and resolve to help me get past the finish line.
I will post more tomorrow when my mind will be a little more organized.
Until then,
Rick
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment