Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just 3 to go

Hi everyone,

Notwithstanding all I said yesterday afternoon, last night was one of my poorer nights in the past little while. The Fentanyl patch started to separate from my skin yesterday afternoon and as the day wore on I became more and more agitated and the pain in my mouth was very real. Brock applied an Opsite patch over the Fentanyl patch. As luck would have it, the Opsite patch did not work as it should.

I slept very poorly, had a series of bad dreams and an ongoing cough and an incredibaly sore throat. I took my Fraser Valley Mouthwash as often as possible and as much Hydromorphone as I felt was safe. Needless to say last night was very long and difficult.

The Public Health Nurse came to see us a 10:00 this morning and checked my Fentanyl patch with the Onsite and she opinied that we get a nurse to look at it this afternoon. She changed the Butterfly patch and Brock cleaned the wound. Everything in this area is aok.

At 1:30 I was on the table ready for my Radiation treatment when a phlem ball appeared in my throat just as the attendants put on my mask, I immediately started to hyperfentilate and suffer a minor anxiety attack. They called in the next patient and phoned for the house nurse to come and see me. I explained what was happening to the nurse and she administered and ativan tablet to settle me down. 15 minutes later I was back on the table receiving Radiation treatment #22 (just 3 left).

Brock and I then saw the dietitian and went over my plans for the balance of this week and next until I return home on Thursday June 19. Everybody is now on side with me going home. Dolores is a marvellous caregiver and the Public Health Nurse in Vanderhoof supports the decision.

When Brock and I got home from the hospital we applied a new Fentanyl patch and within an hour the relief it provides was very clear to me. Wheeeeeew!!!!!!
I'm feeling rejuevenated tonight and I hope to sleep much better. I'll post more tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Rick

No comments: