Howdy folks,
I'm back in Fort Fraser and have just finished enjoying a lucious ham caserole dinner. The trip home was eventful and began yesterday afternoon after my appointment with Dr. Leong ended. The B.C. Air Ambulance service was called and we were told that the Ambulance to take me to the airport was en route. Sure enough it arrived 15 minutes later. I was loaded in and strapped on to a gurney the engine was running and the driver was notified that the air ambulance I was scheduled to take was diverted to another centre and I was bumped.
Brock had already left for home and I had to call him to come back for me. As we were leaving the hospital he called the Air Ambulance Dispatch and we were told to hold at the hospital because another ambulance was on the way to pick me up. We turned around and went back into the waiting room and sat. 1/2 an hour later we were told that I had once again been bumped.
I spent an enjoyable evening with Brock revelling in the fact that I am in the clear and the cancer is gone. We ate together and watched some TV and I called some friends in the Vancouver area to give them the news first hand. I had a fitfull sleep and tassed and turned all night. Brock woke me up at 7:30 to say the ambulance was on the way & would be there in 1/2 and hour. Well, that 1/2 turned into 1 1/2 hours and I had all but given up on an early flight back.
The ambulance arrived around 9:00 ish and off we go to YVR. It took an hour to get there and the plane was waiting for us. There was one other passenger on a gurney and as a result I had to be on a gurney because of the configuration of the Beach Craft 18. It really is a flying ICU. My medic was an ALC (Advanced Life Support) and that gave me great comfort. Soon after take off as we were climbing to our 24,000 foot cruising altitude I started to cough. I had to Reiki myself to calm down and I fell asleep for the rest of the 65 minute flight to Prince George. I was then transfered to a regular ambulance and transported to Vanderhoof.
Dolores was waiting for me along with Dr. Sean Ebert. Dr. Ebert removed the trachea tube and stitched the hole shut but, only after three failed attempts to bandage the trachea hole. Every time I coughed I blew the bandages off. I am so pleased that the tube has been removed and the pain in my throat is subsiding by the hour. I am able to swallow my food much better and with less pain. What a relieve. The coughing has lessened as well.
That's it. I'm now entering the last stage of my recovery and that is to regain my strength and stamina. It will be fun to do it. And the best news I am cancer free.
Stay tuned and I will update you with periodic accounts of how I am doing.
I want to say thank-you to you all for showing your support during the last 4 and 1/2 months. It was extremely important to me and without your support faith and prayers who knows where I would be today. My friend Pauline Viverette (Spranghill66) said it best "The Devil should have taken you when he had the chance because he won't get another one". Thank-you Pauline and everybody else.
Love to all,
Rick now Lumpfree.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment