Friday, August 8, 2008

Vancouver trip

Good evening everyone,



A quick up date on what's happening with my trip to Vancouver to have my post radiation check ups. But first some background. On Tuesday Aug. 5, I went into the Vanderhoof Hospital (St. John Hospital) to meet Dr. Suzanne Campbell the resident Oncologist there. We went over my history and what was next in my treatment schedule. I mentioned my appointments on the 11th and 12th in Vancouver. I also said that I was going to postpone the trip until a later date because of my current physical condition. She declared me to be unfit to take the Northern Health bus to Vancouver and back. Next she said that she would look into having me booked on and air ambulance to & from Vanderhoof and Vancouver.

On Thursday this week ( Aug. 8), the Hospital in Vanderhoof called me to say that the air ambulance to and from PG/Vancouver has been confirmed. I am to check into St. John Hospital here in Vanderhoof Sunday evening and be taken air ambulance to Vancouver Monday morning. The air ambulance will likely land in Vanderhoof rather than PG. In either event I will be transported to the appropriate airport by ambulance.

From Vancouver airport I'll be taken directly to Dr. Anderson's office and then I'll stay the night at the Jean Seabar Vancouver Lodge which is part of the Vancouver Cancer Clinic. Brock will pick me up Tuesday morning and take to the Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic. The hospital has now told me that Dr. Leong, my Radiation Oncologist, is going to have to arrange for the Air ambulance from Vancouver back to PG. Dr. Campbell in Vanderhoof is liaising with Dr. Leong so that this becomes a reality. Either Brock or and Ambulance will return me to the Vancouver Airport when I'm finished at Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic for the return flight. I'll be taken back to St, Johns where I'll either be discharged then and there or I'll stay the night and be discharged on Wednesday Morning.

This is too wonderful for words. The Northern Health Bus takes 12 hours each way and I really was afraid of that trip by myself in my current condition. I don't know weather I'm receiving special treatment or weather this service is available to all cancer patients who live outside of Vancouver and have to go there for treatment.

Whatever the case is, I'm scheduled for the trip and I'm happy about it. Tomorrow I'll get myself ready for the trip. I'll have to pack my portable suction unit, my Meds and enough tube food and the paraphernalia to last for the duration of the trip along with clothes and toiletries.

I'll post a short note before I leave but, if not I'll likely be back here by Wednesday next week and I'll update you then. Bye for now,

Rick

No comments: