Monday, July 21, 2008

Fort Fraser Express

Good afternoon everyone,

We're here in scenic Fort Fraser. The farm is lush and green and the work Dolores did in the spring time planting her flower beds has paid off. The colours are spectacular. The 3 acre vegetable garden is growing but, it needs more warm weather and more sunshine. It has been cool and wet so far this summer. Today it is sunny with cloudy periods and quite breezy. I have been able to sit out in the back yard, out of the wind and enjoy the sun.

I am still very weak and with very little stamina. I have been sleeping better but I still have a nap after breakfast and then again after lunch. The sticky wet saliva and mucus is driving me crazy. I have figured out that I sleep much better at night if I leave the trachea tube open and during the day I put the Passey-Muir Valve on. I notice improvement everyday.

The trip from Vancouver to here was uneventful. It was a beautiful day for driving and the weather was great. Sunny most of the way and the traffic was light. I felt good and with Dolores doing the driving I was able to catch cat naps here and there. As a result we were able to complete the trip in one day. We left Surrey at 9:00 AM Friday and arrived here at about 10:30 PM.

David, Dolores's oldest son, is busy with haying and works long hours as long as the weather permits. I don't know how many acres are put up in hay but it is enough that when baled it provides for all of the winter needs of herd. I haven't seen a cow since I arrived. They are out grazing on the open fields which are not visible from the house. It is a fairly large farm at 965 acres. For yhose who wonder how large that is, 640 acres is equal to 1 square mile. As I get stronger Dolores will take me around the entire farm.

That's it people. I will be updating periodically from now until I return to Vancouver Aug. 10. I have a number of appointments and if I need surgery, it will be scheduled at that time.

Until the next time,

Rick

1 comment:

msmeow said...

Welcome back Rick!
Hi Honeyman:
I can just imagine how happy you are to be home and out of that hospital. Your ordeal with radiation is OOOOOVEEEEER. You made it. It was a very long haul but that one is behind you. I'm just imagining you sitting there soaking up the sun and how good it must feel.
I will be out Tues/Wed evening but let me know if you are ready for phone calls. I don't want to tire you out.
I'll end now and keep this short and sweet and I'll follow your blog.
I've thought about you a LOT!
Sending hugs..........Marjo