Saturday, July 12, 2008

Set back

Good afternoon all,

I spent last night (July 11) in the hospital in Emergency. I suffered an episode where I was unable to breathe out through my nose or mouth if I had the plug or the Passey Muir Valve attached to the end of the Trach tube. As long as the Trach tube was open I could breathe normally. This scared both Brock and I and we dashed off to Surrey Memorial Hospital at 9:00 PM and were rushed right through to the system and Respiratory Care Therapist looked at me and said I would be ok but, I would stay the night and an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor would be called in to see me.

I was moved to an Emergency Cubicle and I slept peacefully throughout the night. This morning at about 10:30 the ENT Doctor came in to see me scoped my upper nasal passages and then scoped me through my trach tube. He says that my upper passages are blocked due to a cold and allergies I have but, most importantly is my allergy to Cat Dander. Brock and his room mate Dave have had a cat for years and years so that along with the dust is the most likely candidate for the problems I'm suffering from and there is very little I can do to resolve that problem. I'll continue to use Flownase, a Nasal spray and my antihistamine pills. When I have another attach I pop off the plug at the top of my Trach tube and breathe normally. I must also learn to relax as so as I feel one of these attacks coming on.

On Monday Brock and I will visit the Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic and see if we can get an early appointment with Dr. Leong. We'll seek his advice on what would be best for me and How I should best get back to Prince George and then to Deloreses home in Fort Fraser. I have been advised that I cannot fly because of the Trach tube.

I'll keep you all fully informed.

Bye for now,

Rick

No comments: