Friday, June 27, 2008

The Great Houdini

I have good news and the daily chuckle.
Lumpy was moved to a ward the night before last. ( this is good) That night Lumpy decided that he wanted to go home, and for all of you that know him, he was going to GO HOME. The nurses asked where he was going and he made up a story that he had left his flashlight in the ICU and was going to go get it. The nurses "went " with him to ICU so he improvised and "took" his flash light from ICU ( it says in big block letters property of ICU on the side.)They returned to the ward. Later he packed his "stuff" and called a bunch of family and friends all across the country at 1:30am to come pick him up. He then tried to walk out right past the nursing station real cool like. They caught him. So they got him to watch TV and then snuck up on him with a sedative and stuck him. He was a little indignant about that. They let him sleep in the TV room. The next morning he was much more reasonable and admitted he needs to stay put until the doctors say he can go. He was having a great chuckle relaying this story yesterday afternoon. If I have omitted any details I am sure this is one that will improve with the retelling of it.
As the story implies he now has access to a telephone at his bed side he is allowed to use it to phone family and friends, I don't know how incoming calls work or if they work but we will keep you posted. Please note if anyone gets phone calls at inappropriate times of day please let Brock know so that he can address this with Lumpy or just catch him again.He He.
Lumpy can now receive gifts in his room. He has expressed a preference for not receiving flowers but thank you for the ones he already received. Cards would be nice. Adelle and Louise have sent him "Sunshine's sister" to keep him company( Sunshine is their dog and her sister is the cutest stuffy). Lumpy is also on a very restricted diet so food would also not be a good idea.
He has been delighted to receive the emails from all those of you who sent them. We all thank you for this ray of sunshine in his day. Please keep them coming.
Medically he is showing improvement daily. He has contracted another infection and is back on anti-biotics. He is still being fed through his gastric tube but he is allowed clear liquids in very small quantities by mouth. He can suck on ice chips. During his radiation treatments this was out of the question due to the pain in his mouth. He is very much enjoying ice chips without pain. There still is no ETA on discharge from the hospital, but there definitely is good forward progress. No update as of yet on the status of his cancer except we are just waiting to see how good of a job the radiation did on it.
Thank you for all the good energy, please keep it coming and I will keep the updates coming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Brock,

Thanks for the updates!

I've sent Lumpy some email to the youvegotmail.smh@fraserhealth.ca address. Yesterday & today. I'm just wondering, given I can't see his name mentioned in the address how the hospital gets the email to him. I just sent him an animated card, which I think he'll enjoy! But now I'm thinking is he getting these emails?

Best regards to the honeyman!

Unknown said...

Top of the afternoon to you, Lump, Lump!

I guess things are going better and better for you, because I hear that you wrote, directed, produced and starred in your own comedic sitcom! I was told that it featured a ruse involving nurses, flashlights, duffel bags and trying to sneak out the front door! A bold caper, if I ever heard one! Hmmm, hmmmm! Sounds like an Emmy winner, or maybe good enough to turn into a movie! I can see it now, in lights, "Mountain Man Sneaks Out of Hospital." Hmmm, hmmm! Maybe those hospital folks are not as dumb as they look!

Anyway, I've got some more medicine for you!

A guy is driving around and he sees a sign in front of a house. "Talkng Dog for Sale."

So, the man rings the bell and the owner tells him the dog is in the back yard.

The man goes into the backyard and sees a Labrador retriever sitting there. "You talk?" the man asks. "Yep," the Lab replies. So what's your story? asks the man.

The Lab looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government so I told the CIA about my gift, and in no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with world leaders. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running.

"But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a bunch of medals. Now, I'm just retired."

The man is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.

"Ten dollars," the owner says.

"Ten dollars?" the man says. This dog is amazing. Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?"

"Because," the owner says, "he's a liar. He never did any of that."

Hehehehe, hahahaha!

The longer, louder you laugh, especially from the belly, the better the medicine works!

Take care of yourself this weekend, follow your doctor's orders, even though I'm sure they don't know what they're doing! My home PC is still dead hard drive though I'm getting closer to getting back on the air every day!

In the meantime, prayers and hugs!

P.S>: Actually, msg previously sent to Fraser Clinic; apparently, did not get through!!