Monday, May 26, 2008

Break through in Pain Medications

A very good evening to all of my familyand friends,

Today while we were at the 12th Radiation treatment the technitians made a spur of the moment decision to defer that treatment until after I met with the Doctor and the Nurse. The decision was made easy by the fact that I had only injested about four teaspoons of soup and less that 500 ML's of water in the precedding 36 hours and I was in very terrible shape.

Brock and I met with the nurse who immediately when out and got Dr.Herbert. She took me off the Morpine immediately as it was having no possitive effect on the pain. She prescribed Fentanyl Transdermaal Patches which I started using tonight. No more APO-Benzxdamine. She's precribed Ativan to confront my periodic anxiety attachs. To get me through the day I was given an injection of a very strong pain killing drug and an antiinflamatory to reduce the amount of mucus, phlem and with sticky saliva. I have a new breakout drug Hydromorphone which I can take at 2-5 mls every 4 hours when something comes along unexpectantly.

I now feel that the pain as I'm confronted with it will now be managed. The last really big step will be the insertian of a food tube sometime between now and next Tuesday. I am looking forward to that development and there will be no more mouth agony from swallowing and irritated gums etc.

Tonight I have been lifted out of the dumps and I'm feeling like there is a reason to beat this disease.

Until yomorrow my friends,

Rick

P.S.: The Doctor and the nurse sent me for blood tests and then for a 2 litre IV of saline and
water. I was pretty much dehydrated. Am feeling better now.

H

No comments: