Hello to everybody,
Since Friday night last week I have been on the "rollycoaster" ride of my life. Just when you think things are about to get better that damm"rollycoaster" snatches me up again and takes me on to new levels of pain and discomfort I cannot begin to describe.
The Pain Management people at the FFCC are all first class folk and they go to extrodanary levels to help smooth out the ride. But, the radiation is relentless and with every treatment new sores and leisons appear and my throat becomes ever so much more painful.
On the 27th I posted that I had found relief from the majority of the pain. I woke up Tuesday morning feeling disoriented, halucinating and panicky. I couldn't remember how long I had been here in Vancouver, I didn't recognize 50 % of my caregivers. I had overdosed on the Hydromorphone. I met with Dr. Leong on Tuesday morning and one of the pain management nurses. Dr. Leong quickly adjusted the levels and frequency of my meds. Due to my diminished capacity the Radiation treatment was cancelled for the day.
Kam, my favourite among the nurses took Brock aside and gave him some one on one training on dispensing and recording the times the drugs were administered. We went from one extreme back to the other extreme. Yesterday I was back on the "rollycoaster" ride to Hell. I was extremely uncomfortable last night. First thing this morning Brock took me back to the hospital and the dosage levels were adjusted once again.
The Fentanyl patch is to be replaced at 6:30 this evening and the dosgae level on the patches has been increased to 75 MCG per hour. I'm hoping that this will do the trick. I am due to have a food pump inserted next Tuesday, June 3. Before it can be inserted the pain has to be brought under control. Swallowing is barely manageble, it's the pain is just to great. I have mixed emotions in this regard.
I am dizzy and disoriented at this point and I need to rest. I'll post more later.
Rick
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Rick,
I have to tell you that your endurance and tenacity in the face of this indescribable pain is beyond words. I have to wonder if I could endure what you have (although I hope I never have to find out).
Not only that, but you are able to maintain wit and humour in postings. How you are able to write what you do while facing pain and drug influence is beyond me.
All the best. It seems that you are past the worst.
Post a Comment