Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Treatment #4

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm still upright, breathing and feeling good after Radiation treatment #4. I do however have some ugly bruising on the left side of my neck just below where the majority of the lumps are located. There is still no pain but the lumps are itchy. My mouth is dry and I'm told by both the Dietitian and Dr. Gardner, my dentist at FVCC, that the thin saliva gland on the left hand side has already stopped working. I see Dr. Leong tomorrow after session 5 and I'll have a more to say then.

Dr. Gardner removed the bone spur from my lower right hand gum. It was near to the area where the 12 year old molar was pulled out just before I left Prince George. The swelling in that area has already subsided noticably. I didn't need freezing as she just popped it out using one of her dental tools. A big relieve to me that it was as simple as it was. The other swelling and pain around that area of my mouth is just more of the aftermath of having had that tooth pulled. It will go away but, she suggested that I start rinsing with salt and water 4 to 5 times a day starting today. That will promote more saliva from the right hand saliva gland and promote healing in the mouth as the Radation goes on.

The Dietitian saw me this morning and was pleased that I have only lost 2 lbs. since I reported here on April 8th. She will see me every week during the rest of the treatments and monitor my general health, nutrition and weight. She suggested that I continue to eat lots of fruits, vegetables, cereals, protien such as meat, eggs and cheese and fat such as in whole milk and butter. Animal fats are also good during this time. She stressed that I need to maintain my weight and nutritional levels. She hopes that I won't lose the right hand saliva gland but, I'm most likely going to face a loss of taste partially or completely. An unpleasant thought. It's usually during week three of the treatments that I will really notice the unpleasant effects of the Radiation. Keep your fingers crossed that I will be one of the lucky ones who do not suffer unduly.

More tomorrow after my visit with Dr. Leong.

So long for now,

Rick, who is so happy he can still spit.

No comments: