Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pain increases

Good evening everyone,

I don't know quite what to say to you all this evening. Late yesterday afternoon and evening were the worst yet. Everytime I think I have reached the point where the pain cannot get any worse, I have an episode like I did last night. Using a pain scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst pain you have ever endured or can imagine, I got caught in a volcano of pain and it erupted to level 14 or maybe even 15 on that scale of 10. I have never encountered or had to endure that level of pain for such a long time. The most significant pain comes from the back of my throat and tongue. The pains shoot up through to my left eye and left ear. At times it litterally knocks me off of my feet and I have trouble breathing. It is never easy to eat and swallowing is always a challenge.

Last night, the pain was so intense that the liquid Morphine could not keep up with it as it erupted time and time again. At 9:00 o'clock Dolores gave me a suggestion on how to get on top of the pain. She suggested that I take just 5 ML of Morphine at 9:30, 1 full hour before the next dose was due at 10:30. Well it worked. I have no recollection however, of anything past 10:30 last night until I woke up 2:30 this morning. I took a minimum dose of Morphine then and slept through to 5:00 AM. I then took 10 ml of MOS and feel asleep until 8:00 this morning.

I've slept on and off for most of the day taking my meds every 3 hours. Overall the pain has been more manageable than it was yesterday. One thing however, talking always causes the pain to come back very quickly. I gave myself Reiki numerous times today and mercifully I fell asleep most of the time.

I have very little energy tonight. I plan to have another restfull day tomorrow and I'll try to regain some of my strength. I will definitely ask to see one of the nurses on Monday to tell them how much I have suffered this weekend. Maybe they will have some tips to help me manage a little bit better. Maybe she'll call the Doctor and maybe the Doctor will put me on the three day Morphine patch on Monday istead of waiting until Tuesday when I see Dr. Leong.

Bye for now to all of you, family and friends. Thank-you for all your kind words, prayers and good wishes.

Rick

No comments: