Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How do you spell "RELIEF"

A very good afternoon to everyone,

Today for the first day in many I feel like I am back in control. What I should more correctly say, I am in control of the Pain Medications which let me be in control. Without the "meds" I would be half dead from the pain.

The principal pain blocker is Fentanyl and it is a three day patch. I put it on last evening at 6:30 and by 9:00 this morning it was up and running. The # 2 pain blocker is Hydomorephone which is a liquid and I take 2 to 5 milligrams every hour. It is called my "breakout" drug. It enables me to swallow with virtually no pain and I take it inconjuctuon with the "Pink Lady" is (Maalox with XYL VIS 2.1). I take 30 MLS of Pink Lady and it freezes whatever it touches in my mouth and troat for about 20 minutes. I am then able to take my protein shakes, water puddings etc. These are temporary measures until the Food Tube is inserted some time later this week or early next week.

The British Columbia Cancer Associations Fraser Valley Mouthwash was developed by the Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic and it is the principal medication to fight the thick, heavy ropey saliva which accumulates at the back of my throat along with various other miserable fluids such as mucus and phlem. I am now using Flonase twice a day in conjunction with the FFMW to keep my throat clear. It is marvellous.

I am having problems with constipation and I have a strict set of instructions along with pills, fluids and suppositories to take care of that end. Finally I have Lorazepan/Ativan for those moments when I am about to loose control of my emotions and suffer an anxiety attack.

Brock sat with me throughout yesterday and today's CLinic visits and will be with me again tomorrow. Everyday from now until the end of the treatments will be seen by either the Nurse from the Pain Management Group or the Doctor or both.

You really do not want me to describe the condition of the inside of my mouth. I can open my mouth about half an inch and what I see is pretty greusome. I've been told that it will continue to get worse and the strength of the Fentanyl patches will be increased on a regular basis. The current dosage 50 mcg/hr and the dosage can be increased to 200 mcg/hr.

The pain I went through this past week is now only an unpleasant memory. Now I am in a highly medicated state and need somebody to be with me 24 hours a day.

I completed treatment number 13 to day and we're on the downhill side of the journey. Hurah, hurah.

I will keep the blog updated on a regular basis.

Love to all,

Rick

No comments: