Thursday, May 8, 2008

The first of 25 Radiation Treatments

Good afternoon everyone,

At 10:50 this morning I checked in at the main booking area on the lower level of the Cancer Clinic and then I went directly to Dentistry. The on call Dentist took a brief look in my mouth. I have developed a sore on my lower gum near where the 12 year old molar was pulled out before I left Prince George. She thinks the lump is a bone spur and Dr. Gardner will likely remove it next Tuesday when she is back in the office.

It was then back to the Radiation Centre which is located on the first level of the Fraser Valley Cancer Clinic and I will nearly always be attended to in Treatment Area 5. I have been scheduled for 25 Radiation sessions over the next 5 weeks, one each weekday, excluding Stat Holidays. I will see Dr. Leong once a week during that period. He will decide during the treatment period weather more sessions will be required. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be only 25.

I'm greatly relieved that today is over. I now know what to expect and I'm sure it will not be so traumatic from here on in. I'll deal with the pain as and when I experience it.

I'll let you know more about what's happening after my treatment tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Rick, the shrinking man

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Top of the morning to you, honey man. I got your email and, as you can see, got your latest blog entry.

I'm glad to see that you're striving to be your open and honest usual self. Confronting the enormity of this type of life journey down an unfamiliar path is more than a notion. No one can do it for you; no one can really experience it for you, as compassionate as they are or try be; your responses and your reactions are your own. So, this is really one of those fearful times in the life of a man or a woman. Often, human beings being what they are, simply stop feeling, trying in that way to numb themselves and block out the pain and the fear. But even when we're numbed, life goes on. If we're lucky, we learn how to meet the challenges of life head on, pressing forward down whatever strange and unfamiliar path life sets before us. There's honor in just putting one foot in front of the other, soldiering on, reaching toward what can be rather than dwelling on the enormity of what is. We have to convince ourselves that horrible as the experience may be, it's only "the valley of the shadow of death." This too shall pass and we'll be the stronger and wiser for it! And I'll end by saying, because of course your sense of humor is still intact, this is a challenge that will either make you stronger or kill you. Now smile! You're in a struggle for your life, let that old demon cancer know he's in a fight with a tough old bird and you're in it to win it! By the way, you're that tough old bird!

I hope this goes through because AT&T lately is being very unkind to me! (Smile!)