Good morning everyone,
The treatments are coming along. I must admit that even VINCENT (my alter ego) is having troubles coping with the pain. This past weekend has been just brutal.
Using a pain scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the absolute worst pain you can imagine or have ever experienced, there were times that the pain erupted to 14 or perhaps even 15. I woke up the other night moaning the pain was so excruciating.
I was taking liquid Tylenol 3 until last Thursday when I went on morphine. There have been times since I went on the MOS that the pain has been steady at 10 for hours on end. No kidding it is absolutely the PITS.
I have treatment number 12 of 25 this morning and then I hope to be seeing The Pain Management People. I have to go to the next higher level of pain killers. Since yesterday morning I have not been able to drink or eat without first taking a cocktail dubbed a "Pink Lady". It freezes your throat and mouth for about 15 minutes during which time I was able to choke down some water and 4 spoonful of soup. I am a wreck this morning. I am hesitant to take the morphine because the reaction I get is so unpleasant.
I can hardly talk the pain is so immense. This weekend has been a battle of endurance. The Cancer Clinic was closed over the weekend and while Brock & I called the 24 hour help line, all we were able to get was the "Pink Lady" cocktail and a go ahead to increase the morphine doses by 25% and the frequency of the doses reduced from 3 hours to 2 hours.
I fully expect to go on a three day morphine patch but that is not likely to help me to eat and drink. I think I must investigate a "food tube". Leastway I'll be able to keep my nutritional levels up to standard.
I'll post more after my appointments today.
Rick
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
May 26/08
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says
I'll try again tomorrow.
~ Mary Anne Radmacher~
Dear Rick:
You have me at a loss for words and you know that isn't an easy task. I have copied the attached quote in the hopes that it will bring you positive thoughts. Your courage and zest for life inspires me in words that I cannot put to paper. You are able to rise to the challenge and have zoned into that special place within yourself that guides you to the place you need to be in order to endure these challenges and I wish you strength and love during this time. I'm thinking of you my friend.
I will call you on your new cell # when you are in a better position to speak.
xo Ms. Meow
Post a Comment